Frequently Asked Questions for Starting a Business

Listed below is information that should be helpful when starting a new business in Texas. Depending on the type of business enterprise, there may be specific regulatory requirements. For assistance in determining these requirements, please call the Texas Department of Commerce Business Information and Referral at (512) 936-0081 in Austin or (800) 888-0511 outside of Austin.

Incorporation/Limited Liability Partnership/Certificated of Authority

To file articles of incorporation, file as a limited liability company or a limited partnership. To obtain a Certificate of Authority required for foreign companies to do business in Texas contact the Office of Secretary of State P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711. 512/463-5555.

Assumed Name Certificate

Unincorporated businesses must file an assumed name certificate with the county clerks office in the county that the business will be located.

Local Requirements

For local regulation, contact the city in which the business will be located. Click here for San Antonio. Click here for Austin.

Sales Tax Permit

To obtain a state sales tax permit or for information on other state tax responsibilities, contact the Comptroller of Public Accounts, LBJ State Office Building, 111 East 17th Street, Austin, Texas 78774, (512) 463-4600 or (800) 252-5555.

Federal Tax ID

For a federal tax identification number and any other federal tax information, contact the Internal Revenue Service, 300 East 8th Street, Room G101, Austin, Texas 78701, (800)829- 1040. To order a Business Tax Kit and/or other tax publication, call (800)829-3676.

Employer Requirements

To obtain an employer identification number, contact the Texas Workforce Commission located at 1010 East 15th Street, Austin, Texas 78778-0001, (512)463-2731. The commissioners office representing employers provides an information package for employers. To obtain the package call (512)463-2826 or (800)832-6279.

Workers Compensation

For information on workers compensation classifications, contact the Texas Department of Insurance, 333 Guadalupe, Austin, Texas 78701, (512)322-3493. To become more familiar with the basic requirements for workers compensation in Texas or for a new law guide, quarterly newsletter, and informational brochure for employers, contact the Texas Workers Compensation Commission at 4000 South IH-35, Austin, Texas 78704, (512)448-7900.

Drug-Free Workplace Requirements

Advice is available to Texas employers with 15 or more employees who maintain workers’ compensation coverage. Employers must comply with certain drug-free workplace requirements, and are also subject to federal regulations. These federal regulations include the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and U.S. Department of Transportation regulations (.pdf)requiring drug and alcohol testing. Contact the Texas Drug-Free Workplace Initiative, P.O. Box 684277, Austin, Texas 78769-4277, 512/328-1144 or 800/343- 3822 for more information.

Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements

For information on the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, contact the Texas Governors Committee on People with Disabilities, P.O. Box 12428, Austin, Texas 78711, (512)463-5739.

Workplace Safety Requirements

For specific regulation regarding safety in the workplace, contact the U.S. Department of Labor PSHA, 611 East 6th Street, Room 303, Austin, Texas 78701, 512/482-5783.

Foreign Ownership

To obtain an Investors Visa, a petition must be filed with the Immigration and Naturalization Service Center having jurisdiction over the area in which the new commercial enterprise will be principally doing business. For a business that will locate in Texas, the petition should be mailed to U .S. Immigration and Naturalization Service Northern Service Center, 100 Centennial Mall North, Room B-26, Lincoln, Nebraska 68508. To check the status on an investors visa, contact the U.S. Department of State American Consulate located in the country from which the foreigner is relocating.

Social Security Number

To inquire about a social security number contact the Social Security Administration, 611 East 6th Street, Austin, Texas 78701, 512/482-5404 or 800/722-1213.

We recommend you consult with The Hisel Law Firm PLLC to ensure that all legal requirements are satisfied before operations are begun. Contact us at (210)493-4529 to get your business started today.

This web site is a public resource for general information about our firm. This web site and the materials provided herein have been prepared by The Hisel Law Firm PLLC for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No client or other reader should rely on or act or refrain from acting on the basis of any matter or information contained in this web site without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice.

Transmission of the information on this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, any attorney-client relationship between The Hisel Law Firm PLLC and the user or browser of the web site.

Reproduction, distribution, republication and retransmission of material contained within this web site is prohibited unless the prior permission of The Hisel Law Firm PLLC has been obtained.